My Quake2 modification : COOP or DIE
The COOP or DIE Quake2 modification is based on the code released under GPL by ID Software.
The project was to create a Quake2 cooperative game with
passworded players' accounts and persistant data. Each Quake2 server is
linked to a central PHP/MySQL website, I call it the WorldServer. Data is
exchanged using a sort of lightweight XML-RPC protocol.
Features supported by the WorldServer
- Players' accounts with name and password
- Inventory, score and various stats saved
- Master server
- Interactions between Quake2 and a webchat
- Modification of map entities (add, remove and modify monsters, items ...)
- Persistence of death player body
Some modifications were added for
adding gameplay, like the challenge mode and the cooperative HUD. The
experience was very interesting and has hightly influenced the design of
my current project.
I have kept the worldserver active for the fun and because it doesn't
cost a lot.
Screenshots from www.coopordie.com
Try the game:
Read a review:
Featured QuakeII Mod from www.planetquake.com
COOP or DIE forum